Somehow 2012 has quickly slipped by and now the Christmas season is in full swing. Christmas has many traditions and one of the things we do annually at Lifepoint is give generously toward our special Christmas Offering.
Traditions are great, however, it’s easy to forget why we do some of the things we do. I’d love to take a minute and share with you why I give a special Christmas offering.
1. Because it is Jesus’ birthday. I know this sounds silly but I can’t imagine what it would be like to have a party and watch everybody get a gift except me. We give gifts to people that we love and appreciate and there is no one that I am more grateful for than Jesus. I believe our biggest and best gift should be given to Jesus. Giving Him a gift reminds me that Christmas is about Him!
2. Because it makes an impact on the world. Every year our Christmas offering has gone to impact our church, our city, and our world. Over the years we have been able to feed families in Brazil, drill wells in Africa, feed underprivileged kids in our own city, serve the homeless meals, start a village sponsorship in Uganda, provide gifts for families, and make improvements around Lifepoint to name a few.
3. Because it breaks the curse of greed in me. You may find this hard to believe but I can be a greedy person. This time of year my wish list can grow pretty long and I can get pretty self absorbed. I’ve found that the more generous I am toward others the more content I am in my own life. To be honest, I’ve regretted many of the purchases I’ve made. I’ve never regretted giving money to the church or someone in need.
4. Because it teaches my kids who Christmas is about. Let’s face it, kids love Christmas. They love it because of the gifts they get. Giving generously teaches them to love it because of the gifts they give! Big difference. The best Christmas memories I have as a kid center around my family giving generously to people in need.
5. Because it helps with my taxes. Yes, I admit this is a pretty shallow reason but hey, I don’t want to “render to Caesar” any more than I have to! Yes, all gifts to the special Christmas Offering are tax deductible. Everything you give up until Dec. 31st can be counted on your 2012 taxes.
6. Because Lifepoint is my church. I love my church. I love Lifepoint because of the heart for Jesus and commitment to His mission (the preaching is pretty good too!). I want to be fully invested at my church. Jesus says that where I invest my money is where I’ll find my heart. I hope that evidence of my heart is all over my church. I hope to always be a person who says, “Follow me as I follow Christ!”
So, there you have it. Those are just a few of the reasons why I give. What about you?
On December 16th we have the opportunity to give generously to the work of God in our church and around the world. Be sure to be at Lifepoint this weekend as I share some of the areas that will be blessed by our generous giving!
I Love Pastoring This Church,